Touchscreen and button controlled cycle computer with personalised targeted adaptive coaching when paired with your compatible power meter and heart rate monitor.
- Feature-rich GPS bike computer with touchscreen display for navigation and connected features. Some of the new features are:
- New: Responsive touchscreen display with a full set of buttons (as Edge 540) meaning best of both worlds
- New: Extended battery life; up to 26 hours of battery life in intense mode and 42 hours using battery saver mode
- New: Multiband GNSS support - GPS, Galileo and GLONASS - with dual frequency providing enhanced positional accuracy
- New: ClimbPro Ascent Planner; see remaining ascent and grade when climbing without the need for a route or course to be loaded
- New: New features: Training Status 2.0, Real-Time Stamina, Power Guide, Climb Explorer, Connect IQ Store
- New: Revised user interface with faster processing times, route calculations etc. improved Bluetooth connectivity
- New: USB-C charging cable
- New: Smart trainer compatibility
- Available features with compatible power meters and sensors; adaptive coaching, power guide, stamina insight and cycling ability
- Preloaded Garmin Cycle Map with turn-by-turn directions, route calculation and alerts
- Ride specific routing and Trendline Popularity Routing
- Download Trailforks app and unlock Trailforks map content for the best off- road courses
- Dynamic performance monitoring providing insights on VO2 Max, recovery time, training load and more
- Heat and altitude acclimation; nutrition and hydration alerts
- Cycling and MTB dynamics, grit and flow metrics
- Rider-to-rider messaging allows you stay in touch with other cyclists in your group
- Live tracking, group tracking, smart notifications (texts) when paired with smartphone
- Incident detection
- Customisable via apps, widgets and data fields
- Pair with supported SHIMANO STEPS eBike and receive eBike status screen and data fields
- Full connectivity to optional sensors via ANT+; speed, cadence, heart rate, Varia radar and more
- 2.6" hi-res colour display
- Bike Alarm; pin-protected bike alarm that alerts on your smartphone if your bike is moved when unattended
Product Screen Shots
- Edge 840
- Mounts (standard and flush out-front)
- USB-C cable
Customer Reviews for the Garmin Edge 840.
Questions and Answers
Do you have any questions about the Garmin Edge 840.
We recommend either the Edge 840 or Edge 840 Bundle.
Garmin continue to be the leading name in GPS cycling computers.
The new Edge 840 and Edge 540 are the latest additions to the line-up. It is four years since the launch
of the Edge 830 and 530 and there has been a lot of change.
From a hardware perspective the highlights are:-
- the introduction of multiband dual frequency GNSS support which means that positional accuracy is excellent
- the touchscreen Edge 840 now has a full set of buttons as the Edge 540 so you have the benefits of both worlds
- processing power on the devices is better making them more responsive and quicker
- the introduction of the Edge 840 Solar and Edge 540 Solar versions, albeit less relevant due to Irish weather
For a software perspective, there are several feature enhancements and new additions including a revamped and more intuitive user interface. The ClimbPro feature no longer requires a route or course to be preloaded, so you can always see what's ahead of you. Software additions include real-time stamina insights, Training Status 2.0, Power Guide, Climb Explore and more.
The pick of the bunch is either the
Edge 840 or bundle version. The reason is that the new user interface better suits touchscreen but you also have the backup of full button control when you need it. The are also other
benefits such as extra memory on the 840 which means more mapping already preloaded including Trailforks. The Solar version does not make much sense in Ireland, so if you are thinking of the Edge 540 Solar, go for the Edge 840 instead - it has a lot more to offer.