Garmin epix PRO (Gen 2)
Premium and ultimate multisport GPS smartwatch with a brilliant AMOLED touchscreen display available in 3 sizes - 42mm, 47mm and 51mm - and optional scratch-resistant Sapphire lens. Conquer every hour of the day with advanced training features, 24/7 health and wellness monitoring, and up to 16 days of battery life in smartwatch mode.
What are the key features of the Garmin epix Pro (Gen 2) series?
Some of the key new features include:
- Bright, beautiful AMOLED touchscreen display; high resolution, the color and detail means the display is easily readable in sunlight.
- Available in 3 case sizes: smaller 42mm, standard 47mm and larger 51mm that are suitable for daily wear.
- Battery life: up to 16 days in smartwatch mode, 30 hours in GPS mode.
- Built in LED flashlight with various intensities, including a red safety light.
- Multi-band dual frequency GNSS support with SatIQ technology across all models.
- 32 GB memory available on all models.
- Increased battery life (especially the 51mm version) with faster charging.
- Includes new Hill Score metric and Endurance Score metric.
- Includes new optical HR sensor - Elevate 5.
- New 'Redshift' mode for night time display.
- Mapping now includes shaded reliefs and weather overlays via the weather widget.
- Over 30 new sports/activity profiles added.
- Split screen feature that allows you to mix mapping with data.
Is it worth upgrading to the epix Pro Gen 2?
The choice of three sizes, addition of the LED flashlight, mutli-band dual frequency GNSS support (which really is
class leading GPS accuracy), the new optical HR sensor and extra memory means this is a decent upgrade on the existing
The new features such as Hill Score and Endurance Score metrics and other additional data points will be made available to existing Epix 2 and Fenix 7 via a software upgrade in due course.
Does the epix Pro Gen 2 have ECG and skin temperature monitoring?
At present neither ECG nor skin temperature monitoring is available on the watch. The new optical HR sensor hardware
on the epix PRO makes the watch 'ECG-ready' as it is capable of providing both but Garmin is waiting
for FDA certification before it can switch these on. Garmin will not provide any launch dates until
FDA approval is received.
The existing Epix 2 and Fenix 7 watches do not have the most recent optical HR sensor so will never be capable of ECG monitoring.
What are the differences between the Epix PRO and Fenix 7 PRO?
With the launch of the three new sizes on the Epix PRO, the only two remaining major differences between the watches are display
type and battery life. The Epix has the AMOLED display while the Fenix 7 PRO has a MIP (memory-in-pixel) display.
It really is down to personal preference rather than one being better over the other, some love the clarity of the
AMOLED display while others prefer the unobtrusiveness of the MIP display. With regards battery life, the solar charging
feature of the Fenix 7 Pro
along with the MIP display gives the watch a clear lead over the Epix but at the same time both watches have impressive battery
Finally there is one feature, 'Red Shift' mode, on the Epix PRO that is not available on the Fenix 7 PRO. Essentially this feature changes the display colours to different shades of red for night time use.
mySatNav is an Irish company, based in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland. We are an authorised Garmin dealer and online store since 2005. All our products come with free delivery and 2 year warranty. We are your local experts on the Garmin brand and can provide full pre-sales advice and after-sales support. We offer the most competitive and cheapest prices in Ireland across the entire Garmin range including the Garmin Epix Pro (Gen 2) series.