Garmin GPSMAP 64s
Product Code: 020-00244-05
Rugged, full-featured handheld with GPS, GLONASS, advanced sensor and wireless connectivity.
- 2.6" sunlight-readable colour screen
- High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver with a quad helix antenna
- Preloaded with Topo Ireland & UK map with activity optimised routing
- Worldwide basemap with shaded relief
- Barometric altimeter and 3-axis electronic compass
- Outdoor optimised dual battery system
- Wireless connectivity via Bluetooth® technology or ANT+®
- Smart notifications: receive email and text alerts from compatible smartphone
- Garmin connect: real-time live tracking, social media sharing
- 3.5 GB of internal memory and a microSD™ card slot
- 5,000 waypoints, 200 routes, 10,000 track log points, 200 saved tracks
- Paperless geocaching with 250,000 preloaded caches
- Up to 16 hours AA battery life
- Compatible with Irish OSI maps, BlueChart g2, City Navigator
- Supports BirdsEye Select raster maps and Garmin custom maps
- Compatible with Garmin BaseCamp to view maps, waypoints, routes and tracks
- Water resistant to IPX7 standards
- USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
- connects to compatible Garmin accessory sensors such as heart rate monitor
Product Screen Shots
- GPSMAP 64s
- Preloaded TOPO UK and Ireland Light map
- Carabiner clip
- USB interface cable
Physical & Performance:
|Unit dimensions, WxHxD:||2.4" x 6.3" x 1.4" (6.1 x 16.0 x 3.6 cm)|
|Display size, WxH:||1.43" x 2.15" (3.6 x 5.5 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm)|
|Display resolution, WxH:||160 x 240 pixels|
|Display type:||Transflective, 65-K color TFT|
|Weight:||8.1 oz (230 g) with batteries|
|Battery:||2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended|
|Battery life:||16 hours|
|High-sensitivity receiver:||yes, GPS and GLONASS|
|Interface:||high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible|
|Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units)||yes|
Maps & Memory:
|Preloaded maps:||Yes "Topo UK & Ireland Light" map|
|Ability to add maps:||yes|
|Accepts data cards:||microSD™ card (not included)|
|Track log:||10,000 points, 200 saved tracks|
|Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads):||yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)|
|Electronic compass:||yes (tilt-compensated 3-axis)|
|Sun and moon information||yes|
|Tide tables||Yes (with optional Bluechart)|
|Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest):||yes|
|Garmin Connect compatible:||yes|
|Custom maps compatible:||yes|
Smart Notifications: yes
Live Tracking: yes (with Garmin Connect™ Mobile)
The GPSMAP series from Garmin has always been one of the most popular handheld product lines and the new GPSMAP 64 series has built on
The GPSMAP 64s is very similar to the GPSMAP 64 with a few extra features. First of all it has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter so you can get more accurate altitude reading. Secondly the unit enables unit-to-unit transfer and wireless connectivity to a range of compatible sensors such as Garmin's Heart Rate Monitor and live tracking via Garmin Connect. Finally, smart notifications allows you to receive emails and text alerts from compatible smartphones.
All-in-all we feel that the 'S' represents the best of the GPSMAP 64 series, a good balance between price and the features offered.
The GPSMAP 64s comes prelaoded with a Topo Light Ireland and UK map which is adequate for most recreational purposes however it does lack the detail that you get with equivalent Ordnance Survey maps.
Furthermore it is no longer possible to get OSI 1:50K maps of the Republic of Ireland for the GPSMAP series from Garmin.
Currently the only handheld GPS devices on the market that offer OSI 1:50K maps of the Republic are the Active series from Satmap.
If you need detailed maps of the Republic, we highly recommend the new Satmap Active 20 and it is definitely worth investigating further.
Click here for details on the Satmap Active 20 or visit www.satmap.com to find out more about the company behind these award winning devices.
Please note that maps from Satmap will not work on Garmin handheld GPS systems.